Waking Up Tired After Sleeping A Long Time?
Have you ever woken up after a long, nice Sunday sleep feeling tired and groggy? How come that you are not more rested after getting more sleep? Well, more sleep doesn’t necessarily mean more rest. Sleeping in during weekends and holidays may not be the best way to rejuvenate yourself. The reason is very simple, and here we’re going to reveal it!
Waking up during a wrong sleep cycle
We know that our sleep is divided into many sleep cycles and that each cycle has its own characteristics. Third and fourth NREM cycles are considered to be “deep sleep”. Waking up during these cycles can pretty much ruin your morning. Same goes for waking up during the REM stage – you will just get out of your bed feeling tired and possibly a bit moody.
Timing your bedtime
- First of all, be disciplined when it comes to the time you go to sleep and the time you wake up. Try to do it at the same time every day. Waking up at a different time every day can leave you feeling tired.
- Secondly, “program” your sleep to last for 7, 5 hours. This way, after some time, you will train your brain to always wake up during the right cycles.
Decorating the room
Interior design is not such a popular thing just for no reason. People are very dependent on the feeling of the pleasantness of their homes. Appealing décor can influence person’s mood a lot. That’s why interior designers are always looking for the new and better ways to make living rooms, dining rooms or bedrooms more comfortable for the resident. Here’s a beginner’s guide to a successful bedroom design:
- The purpose: In order to make a room beautiful you must design it according to its purpose. So, if a purpose of the room is sleep and rest, then let it breathe a little! Make your bed the center of attention and keep it minimalistic. The bedroom should be freed from all of the unnecessary stuff. The more the bedroom looks empty, clean and spacious, the more you are going to see it as your sleep haven.
- The right colour: Experts usually agree on light blue as a perfect bedroom colour. There are some colours and shades of colours that naturally calm us down and make us relaxed or sleepy. Picking a calm shade of blue is one of the best choices. Falling asleep easily will help you to wake up at the right time without feeling tired during the day.
- Getting into details: Pamper yourself with some new beddings and a comfortable mattress. Some people are feeling tired after waking up because their mattress is too uncomfortable. Different materials can also help you feel calm. Also, use a chance to make your bedding colour compatible with the colour of the bedroom walls.
- More light: Make your bedroom especially well light. It’s important for a more pleasant experience of waking up. This way you will keep your circadian cycle in order.
Extra tips: Avoiding electronics and stimulants before sleeping
Using electronic right before bedtime is one of the best ways to disrupt your circadian cycle. Light from the most of the devices influences our brain’s production of melatonin, the chemical that is very important for sleeping. Try to avoid using electronics at night, and maybe you will stop feeling tired after getting up.
Also, drinking coffee or alcohol can mess with your sleeping cycles. Sleep after drinking alcohol is not a “real sleep”. Even if you have slept for a long time after drinking, you probably won’t wake up well rested.
There are some medications that can influence the quality of sleep. Even some antibiotics can influence your sleeping. Same goes for some allergy meds. Ask your doctor for an advice on the matter if you are using any medications.
If nothing helps - Maybe it's time to visit a sleep clinic
Sleep apnea, snoring or restless leg syndrome (RLS) can leave you feeling tired even after a long sleep. Some people can even be unaware that they are suffering from these issues. Visiting a sleep clinic can be a great way to finally discover what’s been troubling you, and to leave it in a past once and for all.
Other possible causes
Waking up during the wrong sleeping cycle is the most common reason why you are feeling tired after you’ve slept longer than usual. Most of the people solve this issue simply by being disciplined with their sleeping program. “Time” your sleep the right way and wake up fresh and ready for the challenges of the day!